Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pie Stop

After what seemed like endless miles of one-lane traffic due to road construction in Illinois, Jeff started seeing billboards for the Blue Springs Cafe about 30 miles out from our next campground on the Illinois-Missouri border.

I was reading a book and not paying attention.  He made the mistake of telling me the billboard said the cafe had foot high pies that were featured on the Food Network.  And the cafe was at the next exit.

There was only one option at that point.  At least from my perspective.

The cafe is right off the interstate, so in 15 minutes, we had we had slices of foot-high chocolate, coconut, banana and lemon meringue pie to try later.  I swear - I waited till we arrived at the campground to try it.  It was delicious.  

Jeff and I agreed that the coconut was the best.  This might be the first time Henry and Ruth had meringue. Ruth said it was like eating a cloud, but I'm not sure either one liked it that much.  No complaints here - that means more for me...

The Blue Springs Cafe is a cute little place with flowered wallpaper and blue checkered tablecloths.  It looked like a country kitchen on the side of I-70.  The small, simple menu was hung on the wall, and the kids immediately noticed they had fried chicken livers and gizzards, a favorite of their grandmother in West Virginia.

It was a good thing that we hit the ATM earlier, because the Blue Springs cafe doesn't take credit cards.

Pies in hand, we headed back to the motorhome to finish our day's drive to St. Louis.



No comments:

Post a Comment