Monday, August 19, 2013

Catchin' One Last Wave


The kids really liked swimming in Lake Michigan, even more than in the swimming pool.  Some days, the lake had waves, and some days it was calm and almost motionless.  Obviously, the kids liked the waves better.

It was about 3:00 p.m., and I wanted a little more beach time before we left Michigan.  I had a feeling the kids would like some too. I suggested a few options for the rest of the day:  1) go to Petoskey State Park for a few hours and then have dinner, or 2) pack an evening picnic dinner and take it to the state park beach.  Jeff chose option one and sent us on our way while he got some work done.

The state park is only about 10 minutes from our campground, and we saw that it has a campground too.  The next time we visit, I think camping at the state park might be a better option if only for the quick access to the beach and the sunset views.  

The kids were thrilled to see lots of waves on the lake.  It was much windier here than at our campground.  We put down our towels and stuff and headed into the water.  The kids are used to the cooler water and made their way in pretty quickly.  I think I'd still be making my way in if I was going to go all the way in.  I just hung out on the edge, going in only to about mid-calf.  I took pictures and videos of the kids having a ball in the water and looked a little bit for Petoskey stones along the beach.  Petoskey stones are fossilized coral that are the Michigan state stone.  

Henry was doing a great job body surfing the waves, and rode some all the way to shore.  Ruth enjoyed skimming over them and jumping them and surfing a bit.  The water was so clear, I could see the bottom for a good distance.  Farther back behind the swimmers, kite surfers and small sailboats skimmed over the water with the aid of the winds.  

Once again, a perfect "Pure Michigan" moment:  perfect weather, beautiful beach, sand in our toes (and in the kids bathing suits).  



 




No comments:

Post a Comment