Saturday, August 24, 2013

Henry's Closeout Report

My decision for my favorite place on the trip was a close one: Grand Teton National Park over Yellowstone National Park and Mackinac-Mackinaw Island. (The French called the island Mackinac and either the British or Americans called it Mackinaw.  On the map, it says "Mackinac" but everyone calls it Mackinaw Island.

Grand Teton National Park was beautiful and had the most wildlife: coyotes, mule deer, moose, bison, elk, bald eagles, and pronghorn antelope topped out our animal "hunt."

The downside of Mackinaw Island was the smell. It was horrendous. It just smelled like poop all over the place. You couldn't even smell any of the 18 fudge shops there. It was still very beautiful, though. 

The thing with Yellowstone was the wildlife. The sunsets were beautiful but we saw the same elk at the same time at the same place. The bighorn sheep crossing the road was amazing, and so was the bald eagle diving in the water to catch a fish. I was devastated that we didn't see wolves, but I should have known that when you go in the middle of the day there are going to be less animals. We also saw the usual pronghorn and bison. The pronghorn butting heads was nice, too. We even saw some hawks and osprey.  It wasn't awful, but it didn't cut it for me compared to what we saw four years ago.

It was great to see the prairie dogs in North Dakota stand up to the coyote twice and yell to one another.  They were literally standing up on their back legs yelling to each other when the coyote came around.  Then they went inside their holes.  What was remarkable was that after the sunset, they were all in their holes and we didn't see any outside.  That was amazing.

Another highlight of the trip was swimming in Lake Michigan.  The water was cold but I got used to it pretty quickly.  I liked it best when the waves were rough so I could body surf.

What a coincidence that I saw on Instagram that my classmate and friend Charlotte was in Michigan, and when my mom asked her mom where in Michigan they were going, it turns out they were coming to Petoskey - where we were staying!  Her family in Michigan were really nice and we had great steak and hamburgers at a barbecue at the beach.

I really liked the St. Louis Zoo.  I'm totally going back to that zoo.  We skipped a section so I have to go back to see all of it, including the bear exhibit that was closed when we were there.

I thought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was cool.  I wish there was more stuff about Queen there.  I liked watching the movie screens that showed, year by year, the induction ceremonies and the songs.  There was a wall with the signatures of the inductees.

Red Lodge was a nice town and I liked driving along the Beartooth Highway and seeing the mountain goats and walking along the streets.

I ate a lot of steak on the trip.  I really liked the prime rib at the restaurant in Medora - I think it was the best one I had.  I also liked the one at the steakhouse in Red Lodge that I shared with my dad.

I like going out West because of the scenery and the animals.  I give thanks to my Dad for driving the RV so we could have fun this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment