Friday, August 16, 2013

Swimming in Lake Michigan

I wanted to go take a walk on the beach of Lake Michigan.  Ruth and Henry wanted to go to the campground pool.  Jeff fell asleep while laying down.

A deal had to be struck.

I agreed to take the kids to the pool while Jeff slept, if they would go to the beach with me afterward, and if they didn't want to go to the beach, I would go by myself and they would stay with Jeff.

After the pool, they stayed in their bathing suits, and the whole family went about 9 miles down the road from our campground in St. Ignace to a spot where we could park and walk down to the beach.

The kids headed straight for the water, and soon found out it was pretty cold.  I'm probably wrong, but I thought the water felt warmer in Lake Superior, which is a bigger lake.  My children are part polar bear, so they were undaunted by the chilly water.  They ran in, walked around a little, and then eventually tried to body surf.  The water is pretty shallow for a good distance, so it wasn't too easy.  But they had alot of fun, and it was difficult to get them out of the water.

It was around 6:00 p.m., so the sun was starting to set in front of us.  Many of the pictures I took of the kids look like silhouettes, and I liked that.  I also took some videos.  One of them cracks me up because toward the end, you can hear Jeff say "Oh my God."  It's not that he saw something scary - it's the moment he stuck his foot into the lake and got a shock.  We've having trouble downloading the video into the blog from the campground today, so in the meantime, here are a few photos:











No comments:

Post a Comment